- This event has passed.
Mindful of Race, Mindfulness Conference 2019, Maropeng, South Africa
March 22 - March 25
IMISA – Institute for Mindfulness, South Africa, is hosting a conference, Cradle of Humankind. This conference will explore: How do we uncover our common humanity and enrich our healing as a nation? This is the second South African conference on contemporary mindfulness following the successful inaugural “Mindfulness Matters” conference in 2014. This upcoming conference will focus on mindfulness, compassion, and diversity. This retreat will be held in collaboration with the United Kingdom Mindfulness Initiative. The conference themes include:
- Considering mindfulness as an essential ingredient in building a just society
- Considering mindfulness as a social activist movement in service of enhancing connectedness and understanding amongst diverse groups
- Considering mindfulness and compassion as foundational qualities from which to skillfully engage in diversity
- Exploring “ground-up” applications and contextual adaptations of mindfulness in diverse communities
- Examining effective and ethical methods of training mindfulness teachers
- Considering the evidence for the effectiveness of mindfulness and compassion in healthcare, education, and the criminal justice systems
I will offer a keynote (zoomed in) on Being Mindful of Race: Transforming Racism From The Inside Out, and will join a beautiful list of luminaries including Rhonda McGee, John Kabot Zin, Thanissara & Kittisaro, Pumla Gobodo-Madikizela, Mark Williams, Jay Naidoo, and Rebecca Crane. Please plan to join us!