A Stimulus for Social Healing & Leadership
Racism remains one of the most rooted and painful impasses of our time. We could say that racism is a heart disease AND it’s curable!
Racism is fed through unawareness and the misuse of power. Embedded in racism is the skeletal construction of all social oppressions. To understand the dynamics of racism, and the flesh we put on its bones, is to also understand other forms of oppression and our relationship to differences, divisions, and diversity.
Mindful of Race is designed for leaders, groups, and dedicated practitioners to grow wise about race. Participants become aware of the relational reality of race and their role in racial suffering – its formation and transformation. Unique to this training is the exploration of race and its power dynamics from three levels of experience: individual, group, and institution, and the system of oppression embedded in our mind that is reflected in the world.
This training blends mindfulness practices with an engaged exploration of racial conditioning. With mindfulness practice, we learn how to stay present to what’s true and what’s difficult with a caring and wise heart. Grounded in mindfulness further supports us in an intimate investigation of our “individual” and “collective” racial conditioning and “systemic” proliferation.
The aim of this training is not to encourage the cosmetics of racial inclusion or an unrealistic ambition to eliminate racial hatred. Rather it offers a process for gradual healing of our divided hearts from a deep understanding of our racial conditioning and its impact. Participants in this retreat:
- Recognize the ways in which our racial history has shaped our perception of others and ourselves;
- Become aware of the construction of oppression and social suffering and our role in it;
- Discover how our inner life is reflected in the world;
- Become more sensitive to individual impact on collective belonging;
- Understand how our views impact our use of power and influence;
- Wake up to micro and macro-aggressions;
- Soften the grip of anger, guilt and fear, and use discomfort to brighten awareness;
- Aim our energy toward awakening, non-harming, and unification;
- Transcend our racial narrative by becoming more intentional about what we want to transform;
- Experience the relief that self-awareness, honesty, and presence makes available;
- Experience our kinship and innate propensity for healing and care;
- All this while also having a bit of fun!
Mindful of Race combines Eastern and Western psychology, mindfulness meditation, group dynamics, diversity awareness training, and leadership development. It is a call to those who are brave and committed long-term to ripening self-awareness through relationships, reducing harm, and fosters collective well-being.
- This training is designed for intact groups and teams, not as a “public” or “general” retreat.
- Your group need not be racially diverse to benefit from this training.
- Commitment to a mindfulness or contemplative meditation practice is advised.
- Mindful of Race is an introductory training. Racial Affinity Groups will be encouraged as an ongoing support structure post retreat training.
This training is available to groups and organizations upon request.
Contact us to explore how this training serves your group or organization.
Stay Tuned for my New Publication with Sounds True – Spring 2018
Mindful of Race: Understanding & Transforming Habits of Harm